Monday, December 3, 2012

Uncanny Avengers #2



Does it count as a legitimate complaint that a comic feels too short? I loved the first issue of this series, and after a long wait, issue 2 went by in a blur. I’m not saying Rick Remender didn’t pack a fair amount of characterization into this thing, but man, I want more! And hearing that the delays are only going to get worse doesn’t make the waiting any easier.

Wolverine finally shows up, and he shows some doubt at Havok’s ability to lead the team. At least two issues in, Havok is in no way the leader of this team. Cap is still calling the shots in every way, with Havok serving as a capable face of the team. I’m curious to see how Remender handles this going forward. Havok could step up, but I can’t see Cap in a back-up role. Or Cap could keep the reigns, but that just invalidates the “promotion” that Havok received when he joined this team. 

I’m getting some serious Glorious Godfrey vibes from Honest John, the Living Propaganda, but I’m not complaining. Legends still holds up as a fantastic, exciting story, and the idea of a populace-influencing villain is always terrifying. I enjoyed the way John Cassaday was almost subtle in the first few panes of John’s speech. I had to do a quick double take. 

The issue’s action all comes from Rogue. As a big fan of the X-Man, I’m pleased to see her this tough so quickly. Rogue is clearly an afterthought for the Red Skull, but that’s a mistake. Rogue is on the rampage in this one, and I particularly like the way she holds a grudge against the Scarlet Witch for House of M. I don’t think Wanda is going to just fit in to this new team.

Cassaday is a step above just about everyone else in comics. His facial expressions, his ability to “freeze-frame” the action, it’s simply incredible. This book is elevated to flagship status simply by his artwork. I absolutely love the way he uses his backgrounds (or lack thereof). Instead of just using blank space, Cassaday always includes a cool effect like the Red Skull’s mental powers or rows of power conduit. It leads to a strong sense of environment often missing in modern comics.

Good

No comments: